Hans Jørgen Wiberg, who is visually impaired himself, came up with the idea for the application. Through his work at “The Danish Association of the Blind”, he recognized that visually impaired often need help to cope with everyday tasks, and he believed technology could help.
- In April 2012, he presented his idea for an application at a startup event in Denmark. At this event, he connected with a team, ready to make Be My Eyes a reality.
- On October 4th, 2013, Hans presented the Be My Eyes idea in an impassioned Ted Talk, which continues to resonate with hundreds of thousands of volunteers around the globe.
- The app was launched the 15th of January 2015 and within 24 hours had 10,000 users.
- In October 2015, Be My Eyes received one of 7 spots in Singularity University’s accelerator program, as the only Scandinavian company. See the full list of companies here.
- Be My Eyes was a 2015 Index Awards finalist and has also been featured on Popular Science’s list of best apps of 2015.
- Furthermore, Be My Eyes is in the top ten of the Disrupt 100 2017. World-leading entrepreneurs, investors, and business people name the businesses on the Disrupt 100, to be the ones with most potential to influence, change or create new global markets.
- In September 2017, Be My Eyes, wins the Oslo Innovation Week Award.
- Later in September, Be My Eyes is selected to participate in Expo2020 in Dubai.
- On, 5th October 2017, the Android version was launched – With Be My Eyes available for Android, we will are able to reach even more blind and visually impaired people across the world and help them to lead more independent lives.
- In November 2017, Be My Eyes wins the CER prize 2017
- In November 2017, Be My Eyes wins World Summit Award 2017 in the Category Inclusion and Empowerment.
- In December 2017 Be My Eyes was chosen as one of Google Play’s Best Apps of 2017 in the categories “Most innovative” alongside Google Earth, Pinterest and Snap Chat, “Daily Helper” and “Hidden Gem” The Be My Eyes community currently consists of more than 49,000 blind and visually impaired users and more than 642,000 volunteers. Our users live in 150 different countries and speak more than 130 languages, and the Be My Eyes community keeps growing.
February 3rd, 2018 | Season 1 | 56 mins 6 secs
accessibility, android, apple, apps, technology
An Idea-ology where bold ideas are righteous, unique perspectives are gospel and strong opinions are sacred.